Friday, December 9, 2011

A Merry "Kiss"mas Candy Jar

This candy jar has been on my to-do list for a while. It was an exciting project to do.
Here is how I made it:
1. THE BASE - I used a 5 1/2 inch terra cotta pot, spray painted it with semi-gloss black - about four coats. 

2. THE BOWL - bought a glass bowl from a dollar store. It was really good (thick) glass, which made the candy jar very impressive. I bought two bags of kisses - but to fill the bowl, I would have needed four bags. I glued the bowl on to the upside down painted terra cotta pot with epoxy glue. 

3. THE LID - I used a 5 1/2 inch terra cotta saucer. I spray painted the saucer with semi-gloss black. The  handle on the lid is a drawer knob that I spray painted black, and glued on with epoxy glue. 


I tied a bow on the dish to make it festive. 
Give this with a card that says, Merry "Kiss"mas, and you have a sweet gift.

I gave this gift out yesterday and the recipient was thrilled about it!
Gotta like that!

Thanks for stopping by!


10 comments:

  1. Oh that's gorgeous it looks really professional!

    dp
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive or as we say in french "bluffant" !!!
    Congratulations !
    Mirevan from Chambéry

    www.mirevan.canablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question... I have had a really hard time finding a bowl. I first had a Betta bowl that my Betta fish was in but found it too small for the 5 1/2-6" pot/saucer. So, I found a bigger bowl at HL but this one seems too big for the above mentioned size. Can you tell me what size your bowl is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am making another one tonight too - so I have the bowl in front of me. Unfortunately, since it was from a dollar store it doesn't have a measurement size on the tag. The height of it is 4 3/4 inches. The circumference at its thickest is 18 inches. The width of the flat bottom part is 2 5/8. I am not sure if you have any Dollarama stores around where you live??? That is the store I purchased it from. It was in the section with the vases. It was a $2 bowl. I would take the terra cotta pot with you to find a good fit. I hope this helps!!

      Delete
  4. I made small ones with a 4" terra cotta pot purchased for 98 cents, and then I got the glass bowls to fit from Dollar tree. They stand 8" tall completed and are simply adorable and don't take up to much room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooww impressive. Thanks for your rare ideas !

    candy jars
    glass jars

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have another link to the tutorial because the link you have doesn't work.

    Thanks in advance!

    Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walmart has the bowls in different sizes. sometimes Goodwill and other thrift stores have the bowls as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wal-Mart has the bowls in various sizes. I have found the bowls at Goodwill and other thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete