I have been seeing all sorts of different items being dyed - so I wanted to do a little experiment on my own. I had some cheap dye from the dollar store that had been sitting around my house for ages in the primary colors. I got three plastic containers and filled them half full with boiling water. I put in half the packet - and stirred each one to dissolve the crystals. Then I started playing - this is what I found out....
(FYI - after taking the item out of the water - I rinsed it under cool water until the water ran clean)
Paper doilies were a success! Love them, and the possibilities are endless!
Burlap - another success. I just love how these turned out. I only did little pieces so it will be interesting when I try bigger pieces.
Glassine bags - success. I didn't think these would take the color but I was wrong. I used the bags that are not waxed.
Muslin - success!
Clothespins - success. I love how I can still see the wood grain. The only thing with the pins is they didn't dye where the wood is together - so when I open the pin the original wood color is still there.
Buttons - kind of success. I am thinking if I used Rit dye - they would have turned out good. Here is the link at Rit dye on how to dye buttons - CLICK HERE.
Tuling - not as good as I would have liked, but I was surprised it dyed at all.
White beads. They didn't get as dark as I hoped, but I do like them!
Drop cloth turned out great!
Jute - another success, and oh, the possibilities!
Card stock - it colored nice - the paper is now textured and wrinkly, but it looks like handmade paper now. Could be interesting!!
Lunch bag - not a success. The paper went all spotty and weird.
Acrylic felt - not as successful as I hoped - but it did do a pastel like color.
Coffee filters - success! If I used white ones, the color would have been more true - but I like the country color look.
So - there is my experiment. Hopefully this will stir up some creative juices!
Thanks for stopping by!
Linking up to...
Linking up to...