Monday, October 29, 2012

What Mormon's Believe - The First and Great Commandment


Hello! Welcome to my blog. My name is Sue. In an effort to shed some light on what the Church I belong to believes, I am doing a post every Sunday with the topic - What do Mormon's believe? 
Here are the Quote art pieces from two previous posts.

 


 Semi-annually my church holds a General Conference. For the next few months, my Sunday blog posts (this one is a day late)will review the teachings of the most recent conference. Today’s quote art is from the talk that I am reviewing today titled “The First and Great Commandment” by Jeffrey R. Holland. You can read and view the whole talk by clicking HERE

To me, this talk is about what loving the Lord our God really means. I love how Jeffrey R. Holland related the story of the apostles after the Savior’s death. They went about their lives as they did before, they went fishing. The Savior came to see them again - and while eating a dinner provided by yet another miracle Jesus performed, Peter was asked three times if he loved the Savior more than the fish. Each time Peter answered in the affirmative and each time the Savior responded, “Feed my Sheep.” The reason He asked that is because Peter went about his previous work, not the work the Savior called him to do. Relating this to my own life I need to ask, has my life changed since I have come to know the Savior? Am I working at not only providing for myself but reaching out to others? The things that are important to the Savior should be important to me, if I love Him. I will leave you with the paragraph from this talk that I hope to incorporate into my life more.

"So we have neighbors to bless, children to protect, the poor to lift up, and the truth to defend. We have wrongs to make right, truths to share, and good to do. In short, we have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating our love of the Lord. We can’t quit and we can’t go back. After an encounter with the living Son of the living God, nothing is ever again to be as it was before. The Crucifixion, Atonement, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ mark the beginning of a Christian life, not the end of it. It was this truth, this reality, that allowed a handful of Galilean fishermen-turned-again-Apostles without “a single synagogue or sword” to leave those nets a second time and go on to shape the history of the world in which we now live."
This talk is so impressive when heard so I encourage you to watch it HERE. Jeffrey R. Holland certainly brings the gospel of Jesus Christ to life.
Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to...

'Lil Luna

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It gave me a couple good questions for my talk this Sunday. We really must reach out and be the hands for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete