Friday, August 13, 2010

"Mother Who Knows" Survival Kit


I love giving survival kits. They can be gag gifts for a laugh, or more meaningful gifts for more serious occasions. I have done "teenage" survival kits, "new mother" survival kits, "calving season" survival kits,  "wedding day" survival kits and  "marriage" survival kits. This past week I went to a triple baby shower and the mom's each got a "mother who knows" survival kit. The kit included uplifting quotes on topics from treasuring their child to the importance of mothers. Here's what was in it:
I picked out quotes on mothering that were inspiring to me. I bought items that related to each quote and wrapped them separately. Each quote I put on a 3 x 5 corrugated cardboard that I distressed by ripping  and inking the edges. I put holes in the cardboard so it could be made into a book. Each quote was tied to the corresponding gift.
This is one of the gifts I purchased. I altered it by ironing on a CTR emblem....
and on the back I sewed on a ruffle. For the boys gift I purchased a hoodie and ironed on an emblem.

After all the packages were wrapped I put them in a bag and added a bow. I love using kraft paper for wrapping and kraft bags.
"Survival Kits" are well received and are unique and creative gifts to give.

9 comments:

  1. Sue, these are so darling!...and lots of work but I love the book idea. Such a keepsake. Love your blog,it looks so good. I have one but don't keep it up enough....but this is inspiring! Mine is at kasmath.blogspot.com. Looking forward to doing cards again, I got a new punch...the cute lace edge one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kasandra! THANKS for the compliments. I am new to the blog world so it will take a while for me to navigate around. I did go to your blog and I thought I signed up to follow you but it didn't take. When I attempted again it worked. Not sure what I did wrong the first time - but hey - live and learn. We shall do cards soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to have a template for this? I have a friend that really needs some inspiration right now, as she recently lost her 1 yr old daughter to cancer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok I have to ask - what's in a calving survival kit? my parents are calving and so is my boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you be willing to post your quotes and gifts? I would love to make this for a few women I know!!! :D Thanks for posting such a FANTASTIC idea!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see your quotes and gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also love to see what quotes you used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see your quotes too. These would make darling little gifts for friends and family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete