Saturday, November 6, 2010

Stove Top Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

I don't know the exact name for these cookies. I have heard them called chocolate hay stacks, stove top cookies, bear poop cookies and other names. These are the easiest cookies to make and really high up on the tasty list. This is my mom's recipe, and definitely one of my favorites. This is the "oops I forgot to make cookies" recipe that has got me out of a jam many times. I don't mean to brag, but I have had other cookies that are similar to these, but the way my mom makes them is different. I have had crumbly ones, powdery ones, and ones that come close to my mom's, but my mom's stove top cookies are the best! I have not compared recipes - but I have questioned my mom what she thinks is the difference, and she guesses that other people might cook them too long. She thinks the secret is the full rolling boil at first, and then cooking on low for FIVE minutes only. It should still be bubbling a little during that five minutes. So here is the recipe, give it a try...
Stove Top Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Lay out a large piece of waxed paper on your counter. In a large pot, put the margarine,sugar, milk, vanilla and sifted cocoa on medium heat, stirring occasionally.When it comes to a full rolling boil, turn down to low and cook for five minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in oats, coconut and raisins. Drop onto waxed paper with teaspoons. Let set.


Here is the recipe card....


No comments:

Post a Comment