Saturday, July 21, 2018

Zion National Park - Scout Lookout Hike


Zion was awesome! Here is one of the trails we hiked that contributed to the awesomeness - Scout Lookout

The thought of hiking Angel’s Landing gave me great anxiety. I watched some videos that 
freaked me out - so yeah, doing Angel’s Landing was not an option. One video I watched showed just walking up to Scout Lookout and then deciding if you want to carry on! I was 
excited about that suggestion and made this the plan! 

When doing my investigating into this hike I wanted to know:

How much time do I need?
*answers are based on my experience and different circumstances could change the outcomes*
  • From the shuttle stop, up to the top, back to the same shuttle stop it took 2 hours. We did not rush. We took quite a few pictures. We had a snack at the top. We enjoyed the view for a while and watched some hikers go up Angel’s Landing. Add 30 minutes each way if calculating time from the hotel room and taking the shuttle. There was a group of young men who ended up running down the trail. It freaked me out a bit. The trail is wide enough for people going up and down, however it is still high, and carved into the side of the mountain. I would not want to be running as there is some dirt on the paved trail, and it is a steep grade - which makes it slippery.
   Take your time and enjoy the view. One of the young men mentioned they were in a hurry as they wanted    to do the narrows before dark. I don’t think they would have had enough time. It is tempting to cram a lot in a day - but if you can - take it easy - and be safe. 

What time of day should I go?
-  I was originally planning a morning hike, but I was excited to get into the park and do something. A huge concern for me was the heat and the crowds. We left our room about 5PM and were at the Grotto stop by 5:30. The shuttle in the park at this time had plenty of room. There were no line ups for the bathroom at the Grotto Stop. There was hardly anyone on the trail. It was smoking hot that day - 100 degrees. Going at this time was not a problem. The sun was behind the mountain and we were in the shade. 







What should I bring with me?
  • I took a backpack with water, a snack, the park map, sunscreen, a flashlight and a camera. I wore hiking shoes with good traction. I didn’t need the flashlight or sunscreen. I was glad to have the other items. I do wish I would have had a selfie stick.
Do I need to prepare anything?
  • Although there were few people on the trail, there were a couple I had to shake my head at. The footwear was not appropriate. Flip flops or other sandal like shoes with no support would make for a painful hike. I was glad to have awesome traction as going up the trail and down the trail made it more enjoyable. Who needs blisters?
I loved this hike and definitely recommend it for adults and older children that are carefully looked after.

1 comment:

  1. My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I might as well check things out.

    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to checking
    out your web page repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete