Friday, August 31, 2012

Sewing Table Makeover


Hello! Welcome to Creative "Try"als. Painting furniture is definitely foreign territory for me. I saw a table with a ruler painted on it on Pinterest and thought I would give it a try. 



I have a sewing table that my husband made me 17 years ago that was plain pine. I thought it would be a good candidate for a painting experiment. I didn't take a picture of the table before the paint job (oops). I decided to also try chalk paint so I could strike two items off my Pinterest "to do" list. I made the chalk paint using Plaster of Paris with a recipe from the Elizabeth and Company blog -


After painting the table with two coats of paint - I added the ruler. My husband suggested I used a Sharpie for the ruler lines - although I would paint it next time - because when I distressed it later the black spread. I stenciled the numbers on with paint. I distressed the ruler using fine sand paper. I did wax the top of the table with Annie Sloan clear wax.


This is the ruler art I used as a guide. I copied it and re-sized it to fit a full page. I then used carbon paper, a ruler and the blunt end of a fine paint brush to transfer the lines on the table top. 



I am happy how this table turned out. My husband even said we should go into business together - he can build the tables and I can make them. Although I declined his offer - I am looking around the house for the next item I can paint!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment