Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Printing on Burlap Trial

Well, I have gone and done it. I mustered up all my courage and put burlap through my printer. I don't know how other people feel - but I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when I try something that is a little out of my comfort zone - and then it turns out amazing. Here is what I made....


I found a tutorial for printing on burlap via Pinterest. CLICK HERE to go to the tutorial found on the wonderful blog called "Domestically Speaking. It has great step by step pics. Basically, you need to find Reynolds Freezer Paper. You iron the freezer paper (shiny side down) on to ironed burlap and cut it to the dimensions to fit your printer. The freezer paper gives the burlap the stiffness it needs to feed through the printer. I live in Canada - and the blog comment chatter I had heard was that it was hard to find freezer paper here. I went searching high and low with no luck. I was beginning to think a 6 hour journey to shop in the States was going to be my only hope for finding this beloved paper - but I found it where I shop all the time - SAFEWAY! I have seen a tutorial for printing on burlap using contact paper too - but I am thinking one could even use the technique for printing on regular fabric - using adhesive spray and adhering the burlap to paper. Anyhoo - I found the freezer paper - I tried it - and it works. Of course I had my finger over the CANCEL button the whole time, and I ALMOST hit cancel as there was this terrible paper jam sounding noise. It turned out it was the freezer paper just making crinkling noises as it was going through the printer - so beware of the crinkling noise. All went well and I am so excited with how easy it was. One thing I do suggest is vacuum the printer after - as burlap seems to shed worse than my daughters dog.

The saying I printed out is my all time favorite Thanksgiving saying -


Here are the images if you want to try making this saying using the three wood block idea. Right click on each image, copy, and paste to your favorite printing program and resize as needed.



I am definitely going to be printing on burlap more. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Linking up to...

Whipperberry

12 comments:

  1. Those look great. I am still too afraid to try it. I get freaked with a regular paper jam. Maybe someday I'll muster up the courage because the results are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OmiGOSH, this is absolutely positively FABULOUS!! Thanks for the printables too...Christmas is coming all-too-soon...wouldn't these make FABULOUS gifts!?

    Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by too...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love these! once again i am impressed by your work, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have burlap...I have a printer...I am soo doing this! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collection is really excellent. Very good posting what I exact search I got it your blog great

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Freezer paper is given burlap rigidity it needs to feed through the printer.

    custom album

    ReplyDelete
  7. What type of printer did you use? Inkjet or laser?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I am definitely going to try it! I'm your newest follower! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be done on laser!! Soak the finished fabri in vinegar for 10 mins to seal the ink

    ReplyDelete