Friday, April 15, 2011

Chocolate Easter Egg Bowl Tutorial


This little chickie is sitting inside a homemade chocolate Easter egg bowl.
I looked up how to make a chocolate bowl on You Tube and found a really cute tutorial by Judie Byrd.
Click HERE to see it.
 I knew when I saw this that I wanted to make some egg shaped chocolate bowls for a neat family treat.  
Changing up what Judie Byrd did a bit, instead of a round bowl that she made I made an oval bowl to look like a chocolate egg. Here is what I did....


I got all my stuff ready.
- 5 small balloons blown up to desired size. I washed mine with a wet paper towel.
I played a little wrap song as I wiped the balloons to entertain my hubby.
- 1 cup dipping chocolate
- pastry brush
-cookie sheet covered with waxed paper
-scissors for popping balloon


After melting the chocolate (I melt it in the microwave for approx. 1 1/2 minutes. Do not over heat),
paint the bottom of the balloon generously with chocolate. I experimented painting the chocolate on in a couple different positions - the balloon upside down and right side up (like in picture) and the right side up worked best for me. Coat half the balloon with a thick layer of chocolate and place on waxed paper. Continue with the rest of balloons. I only did five at a time. I only needed three, but I made a few extra just in case something happened. This was my first time making these so I didn't know what to expect. Chocolate will harden within 10 minutes.


 The tutorial said to apply two coats of chocolate. This is what my egg shell looked like when I did a second  coat. The chocolate was nice and thick but I wasn't too crazy about the look of the shell. I found one generous coating of chocolate gave for the smoothest look.


"POP" the balloons. The first balloon I popped, I popped it in the middle - don't do that - the balloon pops too fast. Although my shell didn't break, I am thinking it would have if it was one of the balloons I didn't do a second coat with.  Pop the balloon by making a slit where you tied the balloon. That will help the balloon deflate slower. 


The balloons come out fairly easy.


 If you don't like how some of the eggs turned out you can break up the shell and reheat the chocolate and try again. The tutorial said that could be done - so I gave it a try and it worked!


Put some paper grass in your egg,  and some Easter goodies and you have a sweet little Easter treat! I am putting these at our place settings for our Easter theme dinner.
Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, Sue, these are so cute! I like that you get to remelt the chocolate if things didn't work out the first time. Glad you mentioned popping the balloon slowly- or I'd scare myself every time I heard the bang! I'm also thinking these little chocolate nests could be great filled with ice cream in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, Sue! I love your blog, too! I'd love to feature some of your project some time....would you be interested in guest posting sometime in May?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute and you really explained it well. Thanks. Everyone is going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with those! I love the name of your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing the tute!
    I would love for you to link up to my first linky party! :) {nifty thrifty sunday}
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great. I was wondering how to do something like this. Would love if you link this to my Craftastic Monday party tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! Thank you for sharing the tutorial!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. great tutorial! looks yummy too ;) would love for you to link this up!


    Lolly Jane
    lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on 'Under the Tabel and Dreaming'. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

    Take care
    Tine

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute...peeps and chocolate, always a good thing:) Love how you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your post on 'This Week's Cravings' link party. What a wonderful idea! I am going to try these tonight after the kids are in bed! Thanks for a great idea! ~CAres

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue these are adorable! I have featured these today. Thanks so much for linking to the sunday showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fabulous holiday! Thanks again ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete