Friday, March 25, 2011

Paper Birthday Cake with Homemade Cake Stand


I saw something like this but on the "kiddie" side in a recycle book - and knew I wanted to make some for special birthdays. The original idea were covered toilet paper rolls, and they were favors for a child's birthday party. I thought this was a fabulous idea - but I wanted to to my own version.


I purchased a candlestick and a plate at a $ store - total cost $3. Glue together with epoxy glue or your favorite glue.

Super nice for $3 hey?
Now for the paper cake....


Supplies: paper, ribbon, glue, twist ties.
Cut 4 -  8 1/2 x11 sheets of patterned paper in half - then cut the length to be 6 1/4 inches.
Cut two flames shapes from ribbon. You will also need ribbon to tie around the candles.
Cut two 2 in circles for each candle you make.


Hot glue end of paper and glue together to make a tube. I made seven tubes.


Glue your flames together with a twist tie in the middle. Instead of a twist tie you could use chenille stems or wire. I pinched the bottoms of the flame together to give it some depth. Poke a hole in the middle of circle. Insert twist tie and adhere to bottom of circle. Trim if necessary. Snip slits around the circle.


For each candle, make a bottom by gluing a strip of paper to a 2 inch circle and applying glue to the outside of the paper strips and inserting it in the tube - adhering it to the sides using a pen or pencil to help the papers find the sides of the tube. Apply a little glue along the bottom of the tube and circle. 


Your candle will look something like this. The top pops on and off.


Tie your candles together with desired ribbon. I used the same ribbon as I made my flames out of. Put the gifts in the tubes, filling the tube with tissue. You can put in cosmetics, craft supplies, etc. Lots of good things come in small packages. Put the lids on after you put your gifts in. the tissue should keep the lids from falling through the candle but the lids will be tight - that is why you put slits in them.

Tape a paper doily to the cake stand. Tape the bottom of candles and stick them on the cake stand.
Such a unique and sweet way to present a gift. The recipient is guaranteed to feel special. 
Thanks for looking!

Linked up to....





 


Visit thecsiproject.com


lil luna link party button



AND Designer Garden VIP Party CLICK HERE

















14 comments:

  1. So pretty and elegant looking ... what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to celebrate someones birthday or a lot of other occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love any and all ideas for making birthdays more fun! We actually have a similar project in the works for our next (local) craft night, with the dollar store cake plate and wood blocks instead. (great minds think alike I guess!) Thanks for commenting on our post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that! just change the paper for your color/theme! Thanks for sharing....love the cake stand too!

    Lina - Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I never would have thought of this. Really, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, cute, cute! I have one of those candle stick {two actually} that have been sitting in my hutch for about 2 years. I think I now have found a use for them! Thanks for sharing!
    jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for following me at twotinytowheads. I love your blog! I am a follower!

    Beth
    twotinytowheads

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea!! I don't know if I would want to open it up - it looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that is adorable! That really turned out great.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these are so creative! I would love to have you share this at my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! I love it. What a great idea for packaging small gifts. Hopping over from Tatertots and Jello weekend wrapup.

    lauren @ warmfuzzypurpleandgold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so cute! I will have to try that at our next birthday party:) Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my can project!

    ReplyDelete