Thursday, March 31, 2011

Easter Egg Pillow


There was a pillow challenge over at the CSI project and I got this crazy idea to make an Easter Egg pillow. I have a felt book called "Warm Fuzzies" by Betz White. There was a bag in that book that reminded me of an Easter egg for some reason (although it was called a rainbow bag). I thought the techniques she used for that bag project would be neat to try making a pillow. So here is how I made it:

Since I have this book, I have been collecting wool garments from thrift stores. I gathered my colors that I wanted to use.


I drew an egg shape on a large piece of paper for a pattern. Then I cut out two pieces of fabric. This can be cotton or whatever you find suitable.


I cut out strips of wool - laid the strips on the egg shaped fabric - and then made waves in the wool. There was a piece of fabric with hand sewn flowers in the collar of the blue sweater and it was a perfect shape to put on top of my egg.


I pinned all the wool pieces to the front egg shaped fabric.


Then I stitched all of them to the egg shaped fabric.


After I was done stitching all the waves to the egg, I flipped the egg piece over and trimmed the wool pieces. After this I pinned right sides together of the egg shape fabric and stitched around the egg leaving an opening at the bottom.


I turned the egg right side out, filled it with stuffing and sewed the opening closed.


And there it is. I put bunnies beside this egg for this picture, but I am going to sew a couple smaller egg pillows in solid colors. I made this pillow from wool but fleece or felt would work good too.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. That is just adorable!!! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too darn cute! How creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beyond adorable! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful Easter decoration. Great job and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! What a great way to repurpose sweaters!!
    By the way I've given you the Versatile Blogger award!! If you want to play then you tell 7 things about yourself and then pass the award on to 7 other bloggers (or as many as you can).

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! Now the race is on to try my hand at an adorable Easter Egg pillow! Super creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete